Traveling to Rome in August and not sure if anything is open? Fear not! Unlike the past when Rome would completely shut down in August, with the mass exodus of its residents, that’s no longer the case. Many Romans now stay in the city in August, and while it is quieter than usual, neighborhoods are no longer deserted.
Today many stellar places to eat are open in Rome in August and we’ve compiled a handy list of places that’s within easy reach for most visitors (with few considerable exceptions in our opinion) that will be open the most part of the month.
All information have been verified directly but always please call ahead to check opening hours since owners may decide to make last minute changes, especially in this period.
– Da Cesare in Monteverde area (Casaletto). Open all days except Wednesdays. Address: Via del Casaletto 45 Tel: +39 06536015
– Felice a Testaccio. Closed Aug 14-18 (dinner only Aug 8-13 and Aug 19-23). Address: Via Mastro Giorgio, 29 Tel: +39 06 574 6800
– Flavio al Velavevodetto, always in Testaccio area. Open all days, except Aug 15 at dinner. Address: Via di Monte Testaccio, 97 Tel: +39 06 574 4194
– Paris restaurant in Trastevere. Open all days, dinner only. Address: Piazza S. Calisto 7A Tel: +39 06 5815378
– Roscioli restaurant and deli. Open all days except Sundays and Aug 15. Address: Via dei Giubbonari, 21/22 Tel: +39 06 687 5287
– Glass Hostaria in Trastevere. Open all days except Mondays, dinner only. Address: Vicolo Dè Cinque, 58 Tel: +39 06 5833 5903
– Metamorfosi in Parioli district. Open all days except Sundays, dinner only. Address: Via Giovanni Antonelli, 30 Tel: +39 06 807 6839
– Pipero al Rex, in Historic Center (near Termini train station/Nazionale). Open all days except Sundays, dinner only. Address: Via Torino, 149 Tel: +39 06 481 5702
– Bir&Fud in Trastevere. Recently renewed, always with excellent craft beers selection in addition to pizzas. Open all days. Address: Via Benedetta, 23 Tel: +39 06 5894016
– Emma Pizzeria in Historical Center near Campo de’ Fiori. A new opening by Roscioli family for a seated pizza. Open all days (Aug 14-15-16 to be confirmed). Address: Via Del Monte Della Farina, 28 Tel: +39 06 64760475
– Pizzarium near Vatican Museums metro stop. Pizza by the slice by the famous Gabriele Bonci, no seats. Open all days, Sundays with limited opening hours. Address: Via della Meloria, 43 Tel: +39 06 3974 5416
– Pizzeria Ostiense, near Piramide metro station. A very recent opening offering thin and crispy typical Roman pizza. Managed by guys at the popular (and much loved by us) Remo in Testaccio, worth the trip for a true local experience. Open all days except Aug 11-19 and Tuesdays. Address: Via Ostiense, 56 B/C Tel: +39 06 57305081
– Trapizzino by Stefano Callegari, another “pizza hero” in Rome! Two locations, one in Testaccio and the other in the residential area of Ponte Milvio for his street food creation made with pizza filled with Roman cuisine ingredients. Closed Aug 9-18, Sundays and Mondays. Address: Trastevere – Via Giovanni Branca, 88 / Ponte Milvio – Piazzale Ponte Milvio 13 Tel: Trastevere +39 06 4341 9624 / Ponte Milvio +39 06 3322 1964
APERITIVO (HAPPY HOUR)
– All’Oro “0°-300° Cold & Grill” Roof Terrace at The First Hotel near Piazza del Popolo. One of our most loved views of Rome central roofs and excellent cocktail selection worth the price. Open all days. Note that the Michelin starred restaurant located at the ground will be closed Aug 10-19. Address: Via del Vantaggio, 14 Tel: +39 06 9799 6907
– Bar Necci in Pigneto “young” district, not far from Termini train station. A small buffet during happy hour and relaxed place good for breakfast or a light lunch too. Open all days. Address: Via Fanfulla da Lodi, 68 Tel: +39 06 9760 1552
– Panella in via Merulana, not far from Termini train station. A bakery offering a quality buffet with cocktails or wine.
Open all days except Aug 15. Address: Via Merulana, 54 Tel: +39 06 487 2651
The two bakeries we prefer in central Rome will both be open all days except Sundays, holidays and Saturday afternoon.
– Il Forno del Campo in Campo de’ Fiori square. Address: Piazza Campo Dè Fiori, 22 Tel: +39 396 880 6662
– Forno Roscioli also near Campo de’ Fiori. Address: Via dei Chiavari, 34 Tel: +39 06 686 4045
OTHER RECOMMENDED EATERIES
Good options for foodies in Rome go further the above described selection. An additional short list follows in alphabetical order:
– Giuda Ballerino @ Tiber Island Summer Festival – open-air restaurant. Open all evenings in August.
– La Gensola, osteria and seafood in Trastevere. Closed Sundays and Aug 15. Address: Piazza della Gensola, 15 Tel: +39 06 581 6312
– Open Baladin, craft beers and food in Historic Center (near Campo de’ Fiori). Closed Aug 14-17. Address: Via degli Specchi, 6 Tel: +39 06 683 8989
– Romeo Chef & Baker, restaurant, bakery, deli in Prati district. Open all days in August, morning until night. Address: Via Silla, 26 Tel: +39 06 32 110 120
– Settembrini Café, bistrot in Prati district. Open all days in August, morning until night. Fine-dining restaurant closed Aug 9-26. Address: Via Luigi Settembrini, 27 Tel: +39 06 323 2617
– Tram Tram, restaurant in S. Lorenzo district. Open all days except Sundays. Address: Via dei Reti, 46 Tel: +39 06 490416
– Tricolore gourmet sandwiches in Monti area.
Open all days except Mondays. Updated: They will be closed from Aug 4-25 as pointed out by Gillian in the comments below. Here’s their FB page update. Address: Via Urbana, 126 Tel: +39 06 8897 6898
– Vivi Bistrot – bistrot, café with two locations: Villa Pamphili public gardens and Piazza Navona Braschi museum (10am-8pm). Open all days except Mondays. Address: Villa Pamphili – Ingresso di Via Vitellia, 102 / Piazza Navona – Piazza Navona, 2 Tel: Villa Pamphili +39 06 5827540 / Piazza Navona +39 06 68 33 779
Author’s Bio: “Tavole Romane” is the initiative of two Roman foodies, with management roles in other industries, aiming to help people experience Rome’s genuine tastes and culture with the eyes and insights of a local. They also now offer small-group food tours and are currently running a limited edition food tour in August. Follow them on Twitter at @TavoleRomane